Friday 7 December 2018

Spots on, claws out!

Hello. This is just a blog to give me somewhere to post stuff relating to Miraculous Ladybug. Updates will be irregular, so don't expect too much. A quick intro for anyone curious, though. I'm British, male and... well, let's just say I'm a fair bit older than the target audience for this show!

Miraculous has hooked me in a way I'd never expected it to, though the simple fact of liking a kids' cartoon doesn't surprise me as I've been a big My Little Pony fan for many years. I'm maybe not quite as interested in the shipping as most fans, watching Miraculous mostly for the inventive villains, the attractive visuals and – most of all – the ongoing mystery of Hawk Moth's past.

Oh yeah, spoiler policy. I'm going to say that anything in actual episodes is fair game – so right now that means up to and including "Chameleon", the first episode of S3. However, I do try to avoid all the spoilers you find in places like Reddit or on Thomas Astruc's Twitter feed.

Favourite character? That'd be Plagg. He's just so much fun.

Favourite S1 episode? "Origins" is up there, of course, though "The Mime" is my favourite S1 villain.

Favourite S2 episode? Hmm, tricky. Maybe "Dark Owl", especially that scene with the kwamis.

Biggest disappointment? Small thing, but I was really sad when S2 stopped using French captions on TVi and just went with generic "Nadja Chamack" straplines. The show's Frenchness is important, and this diluted it a little.

Dub or sub? Dub. I know, it's not the original, but the English works fine as a rule. Besides, the transformation phrases are more interesting in English.

Fandom involvement? Minimal. I have a few friends I discuss it with, but the spoiler risk is too high for me to go any deeper.

Merch owned? Er... the S1 DVD. That's all, folks. I'd love to have the art book, but as it's only in Korean and not available here at a remotely sensible price, it's not going to happen unless there's a Western release at some point.

And finally... kitty's name? Cat Noir. I know "Chat" is popular, but "Cat" is canon for the English version and I'm sticking with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment